Ellie's World

Monday, May 15, 2006

Is the Doctor here?

I'm really tired, so this isn't going to be my most eloquent blog- but I want to write it before I forgot all the spectacular details of the story : ) Here goes...after a week of fairly excruciating back pain (and the advice of my parents) I realized I really needed to see a doctor. My trusty bilingual New Zealand buddy told me about a good doctor near my house (turns out he's just around the corner!) So, I bravely went there this afternoon with my limited Japanese, and a few handy phrases in Japanese, such as "sharp pain," "back pain," and "back." When I went up to the front desk I asked the nurse "Is Dr. Tanahe here?" because I'd read that was what you were supposed to say at the front desk of a doctor's office. After I stumbled a bit over some Japanese phrases, she broke into fluent English (it's like a light shines from above when that happens :) She went to check and came back to inform me that I would have to call back after hours. I was really confused because Simon had told me that I didn't need an appointment- that I could just walk in and see the doctor. I finally figured out that if I waited for an hour, until 5:30, I would be able to see the doctor. I figured he was booked until then. So, I told the nurse I would wait or come back, because I really wanted to see the doctor that day, if I could. She asked me to put my name and situation on a small scratch piece of paper so they would remember me when I came back an hour later. I wrote it all out and gave it to her. She then asked me what my situation was and I put my hand on my back to show where I was experiencing pain. At that moment her eyes grew wide- she realized that I didn't want to just meet the doctor, that I actually had a medical problem that I wanted the doctor to examine! She was so embarassed! (She spoke really good English). I told her it was just as much my fault because I had just asked if the doctor was there, and hadn't said anything about my condition. I guess I just assumed that because I was inquiring after a doctor that she would realize I had a problem :) So, it turned out that I could see the doctor earlier, since I was a legitimate patient and not just an adoring fan :) The doctor spoke less English than I thought, but I could figure out most of what he was saying. He wanted me to get an x-ray. I was really surprised that no one asked me if I could be pregnant- I've gotten x-rays in the States and they always ask you if you could be pregnant before they let you take an x-ray. Anyways, I had to change in front of all the nurses in the x-ray room (and wear these ugly, nasty shorts). The nurse who spoke English came with me everywhere, which was such a comfort! While I was on the x-ray table, this really old Japanese woman kept re-positioning me. It was a little awkward because I couldn't understand what she was saying, and she kept touching me and practically laying on top of me to move me around. After the x-rays I found out that my spine is pretty curved (but nothing serious) and the doctor performed a few more tests on me...though I couldn't quite communicate my feelings/problems to him. He was taking on my whole back, while I just wanted something for the recent sharp pains I've been experiencing. Anyways, they brought out this big back brace thing that they told me I was supposed to wear to correct my posture and I was like, umm...can I just get some painkillers or something??? And then I was taken upstairs to the "therapy" room, which I'm supposed to go to three times a week now! I felt like I was joining a gym! They showed me all this equipment and the exercises they want me to do. (Don't get me wrong, I think the therapy is going to help- it's basically heat and some small shocks). The best part was that there were three young boys working in the therapy room that kept staring at me. One of them shocked me by actually saying, "konnichi wa," while his friends looked on. I'm not really sure if they worked there because they looked like high school students. I was certainly an interesting customer to the therapy room! After I was all set up with my membership :) the English-speaking nurse took me next door to the pharmacy. Turns out she's married to an American and is moving to Florida in a few months. She was so nice, and told me she could understand my feelings because she had to go to the doctor when she was stuyding English in the states. We said a long farewell (it was like we'd become friends with all we went through...:) So, I'm back on Thursday for more therapy...hopefully I won't have to go much because hopefully my back will heal up soon! Keep you posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home