Ellie's World

Monday, March 13, 2006

Graduation

Today was the third-year student graduation, and what an event it was!!! There were three half-day performances leading up to the actual graduation. Yesterday was a full-dress rehearsal- they even practiced each student walking up and accepting their diploma! (I think I commented on the amount of practice in a previous blog...) The students also cleaned (and waxed!) the school everyday for about an hour the last few days leading up to today. It makes me feel bad remembering all the cleaning I did at school- just putting my chair up afterschool so the janitor could vacuum under my chair. It's so different here! Back to graduation- it lasted 2 solid hours, and it was probably the most formal event I have ever been to. All the teachers wore black suits, except the female third-year teachers (they wore kimonos). Some of the parents were even in kimonos! There was so much standing and bowing and sitting. Sometimes all the students would stand, bow, and sit. Sometimes just the graduating students would stand, bow, and sit. Sometimes everyone- teachers, students, and parents- would stand, bow, and sit. It was crazy! I had to stay on alert so I could stand in unison with the other teachers. The two difficult parts of graduation were sitting in the cold gym (except my favorite secretary gave me a hot pack to keep on my back that was AMAZINGLY warm!) and not being able to cross my legs for two hours! All the students were required to keep their feet on the ground with their hands in their lap (girls) or on their thighs (boys). Looking over the sea of students was a pretty amazing sight because they all stayed this way the whole time! I did all I could to not cross my legs, but my back was hurting so bad and I wanted to cross them so bad! One time when I sat down after standing and bowing I realized I had naturally crossed them- so I quickly uncrossed them! I did put my hands under my legs because they were so cold and I wanted to warm them. There were lots of speeches and lots more songs. I really liked how after graduation the first and second-year students made two lines outside the front entrance and clapped as the third-year students left for the final time. Students are more attached to their school in Japan because they spend a lot more time at school than students in America, so graudation is really sad for many students. I couldn't wait to finish the awkwardness of middle school and go to high school! Since students brought their lunch, the teachers ordered sushi bento. I pretty much decided that I don't like wasabi at all! It was smothered all over the sushi, and a few times my nose was burning so bad that I thought I was going to have to excuse myself! I went to volleyball club after school, and of course today was the day they ran 15 sets of the three-story stairs! Thankfully, I was able to finished it, but about a lap after everyone else- I feel so old! Thinking about the sushi I ate for lunch didn't make running any easier! Anyways, I am so glad today is over because I had to wear my suit (only the third time I've ever worn it!). I think it is just about the most uncomfortable thing EVER! And it's hard to layer with a suit, which is necessary to bear the coldness of school. I think I have to wear my suit for the welcoming ceremony for new students, but hopefully it will be warmer in April!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home