Ellie's World

Monday, March 06, 2006

The doctor

Tomorrow I am going to the doctor so I needed to ask my vice-principal if I could leave school early. When I told him I was going to the doctor, he looked so worried and asked if I was ok. I assured him that everything was ok, but that I just needed to visit a doctor. Then I told him what time I was leaving, and he told me that of course it was ok for me to leave school early. As I was talking with another person in the office staff, I could see my vice-principal looking at the train schedule. He found which train I was going to take and then told me I should leave earlier to make sure I would make the train! So we decided that I would leave a few minutes earlier just to be safe. How nice of him to make sure I would make the train. I have heard people often talk about the insincerity of Japanese friendliness and helpfulness, but the office staff at my school is so genuinely nice and helpful! After school, when I went to the office to turn my name card over and say goodbye, the secretary that I often speak English with called me over to her desk. She told me that the principal and vice-principal were really worried about me because I had to go to the doctor. So then I had to explain to her why I was going, and again assure her that I was going to be ok! They were also worried that I wouldn't be able to communicate with the doctor, but I told her he speaks excellent English, so there was no need to worry! I really love the office staff! Earlier that day they gave me some "omiyage" (souvenirs) from their office staff trip to the northern island of Japan, Hokkaido. And then, the principal gave me special "private" (as he called it!) omiyage, which means it was just from him and not the rest of the staff. It was some stamps with pictures from Hokkaido. A nice little gift! I am really sad because the Japanese school year is ending in March, and there will be a new principal at my school. I have grown to look forward to my afternoon chats with the principal over a snack of green tea and rice crackers. I am going to miss him a lot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home