Ellie's World

Monday, May 29, 2006

The rest of the story

Kyoto was really fun! I love taking the bullet train (just like an airplane but with no air sickness!)! It was sunny in Tokyo, but by the time we got to Kyoto it was drizzling. The rain was perfect for the shrine we went to that afternoon, though. We went to Fushimi Shrine. It was one of the coolest places I've been to in Japan- you walk through thousands of big red toriis (Shinto gates) up a mountain. Walking through the gates and trees in the dusky mist was a perfect introduction to Kyoto! We then went to Gion, the geisha district. We got to see a few geisha walking to appointments, which was pretty cool! We ended up getting dinner at a small ramen shop near the hotel. We then loaded up on Japanese sweets and settled in for the night. Our hotel was really comfortable- tatami floors and foutons- perfect for us. Wednesday we started out early and, after a brief detour on a wrong bus, made our way to the golden pavillion, probably the most famous temple with foreigners. There were too many people there! The month of May is the month of ninth-grade school trips, so there were uniform-clad teenagers EVERYWHERE! The next temple, the silver pavillion, was a lot less crowded, and subsequently more peaceful. In the afternoon we took a break at the former Imperial Palace gardens. It was nice to get out of the crowds and into a quiet park. We ended the day at the Heian shrine. We got a yummy yakisoba dinner near the station and walked around a bit. Everything closed pretty early, though. On Thursday morning we caught an early bullet train for Tokyo. We arrived at 11 and started on perhaps the most extensive 1/2 day tour of Tokyo known to mankind! We dropped our stuff off at the station, and then proceeded to the hot spots of Tokyo: Akihabara (the technology district), Ginza (the high-end shopping district and Sony building), Shibuya (the famous crosswalk and busiest Starbucks- which we sat in and watched people crossing the streets!), Harajuku (the crazy fashion district and Meiji shrine), and, finally, Shinjuku, where we met some friends for a delicious okonomiyaki (Japanese pizza/pancake thing) dinner. My favorite part of traveling is hanging out with people who live in the country, so I was so glad that Joe and Mike could meet some of my Japanese friends! We rode the VERY crowded train (an essential Japanese experience) back to my friend Kana's place (it feels like I live there these days!) where we all stayed. Friday morning the boys took off for Thailand- what a trip!!!

On Friday afternoon I decided to go to Asia University, the school where many exchange students come from to study English at Western Washington University. I went there during lunch break, and could see many students I worked with as a peer advisor in their exchange program. It was really good to see so many faces, but kind of weird at the same time. With many people, after saying, "Wow! Long time no see!" There wasn't really much else to say, and they were really confused why I was at their school! I had been wanting to visit their school, so it was good to finally be able to do so! That afternoon I met my very first Japanese friend (we met almost four years ago!) to spend Friday and Saturday with. We were going to go on more of an adventure, but I was pretty wiped and it was raining, so we just stayed around Tokyo. It was really good to spend time with her, though, and we could eat Indian food (I love it!), Vietnamese food, meet her boyfriend, and stay in her apartment. On Saturday afternoon I went back to Kana's. We were going to go dancing with some friends, but I was still so tired (and dancing in Tokyo means you are out ALL night until the trains start again in the morning!) so we stayed in. I seriously feel like I live at her apartment (I stayed there 7 days out of the past 25!) I picked up groceries at "our" grocery store and we cooked and made chocolates! We have so much fun (with her brother, too!). It was sad to say good-bye on Sunday, but I will be back in less than a month...:) I'm realizing that I'm not going to be able to see my friends in Tokyo that often when I move back to America...now I can say "I'm going up to Tokyo for the weekend," but I won't be able to say that much longer! They are my favorite part of Japan :) After all the traveling and vacation I've had, it feels like I don't really live or work here, but that I'm just here visiting friends :) I'm already thinking about when I'm going come back to visit :) I think I'll be connected to Japan forever...frequent flier miles, here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home