Ellie's World

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Turn left at the first light

As I was walking to meet my friend Melissa for a quick powerwalk after school on Friday, an old woman was staring at me from across the street. I thought she was just surprised to see a foreigner (it's definately not the first time someone has stared at me!), but then I was greatly surprised! From across the street she asked me (in Japanese) for directions to the train station. I was flabbergasted (and really excited that someone asked me for directions, like a real local!)! After trying to give her directions from across the street, I ran over to the other side so we didn't have to yell. Using my excellent Japanese skills, I managed (I hope!) to give her pretty clear directions to the train station. (Translated, my directions were probably something like this: "Straight, first (gesture traffic light), right (point), straight, first (gesture traffic light), left, train station." She was pretty cool because she used a lot of gestures and could understand my gestures. Sometimes people don't seem to try to interpret gestures to much. Anyways, I felt good that instead of just staring at me, someone thought I looked knowledgable enough to give directions! Now I am an official local of Tateyama!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home