Ellie's World

Friday, February 03, 2006

Work!

When I don't have class, I usually don't have anything to do so i just read, study Japanese, or talk to other teachers. I often go to the office to visit the secretaries, vice-principal, and principal because they like to speak English with me! I usually try not to stay too long because I don't want to overstay my welcome or keep them from working. After one whole period of just chatting (50 minutes), I asked the secretary if she was busy and I should leave, but she said I could stay, that I wasn't bothering her. So, I stayed. After about another half hour the vice-principal comes over to me and says, "Work!" At first, I thought he had finally realized that I don't really have any work to do, and he was angry. After he said, "Work!" he went into the copy room. I wasn't sure what to do so I got up to leave and go back to my desk in the teacher's room, but the secretary, probably seeing my confused expression, quickly told me that he just wanted me to help him fold some papers. He came back from the copy room with a stack of papers and motioned for me to join him at the table. I then realized that he had said, "Work!" because he couldn't say, "Ellie, would you please come and help me fold these papers?" It's always good to remember that intended meaning becomes skewed when language skills are limited! I'm sure I sound strange all the time when I'm trying to communicate in Japanese! Anyways, we spent the next 15 minutes chatting and joking about my new "part-time job" helping in the office. I have to say that I absolutely love the office staff at my school!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home