Ellie's World

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Cho Bikurishita!!! (I was very surprised!!!)))

Yesterday I was helping my teacher in one of her third-year English classes. This particulary class is notorious- my teacher actually calls them animals! She constantly apologizes to me under her breath during class because the class is pretty rowdy. Two boys hadn't brought any of their books or supplies to class, so my teacher pulled them out of class and asked me to kept reading the listening exercise to the rest of the class. Usually teachers never take students out of class unless they are being really bad, so I was surprised because she seemed pretty calm. About 30 seconds later I hear what seemed like the loudest yelling I have ever heard in my whole life. Another teacher (I only know because a man was yelling and my teacher is a woman) was practically screaming at the two students. They were only in the next room over, and the teacher's voice was a lot louder than mine. I tried to keep reading the listening activity but, needless to say, the students were more interested in listening to the teacher shouting than the listening passage about Freddie the leaf changing colors during autumn! What made the whole situation worse is that the yelling lasted for about 5 minutes. It just kept going, and going- not once lacking in strength or volume. It was super-awkward, especially to try and ignore it and keep class going without my teacher in the room. After class my teacher apologized for the awkward situation, and explained to me what happened. The teacher was upset not because the students weren't prepared, but because the students gave him attitude when he started lecturing them. Whatever the reason was, I have never heard such shouting in my years as a student. It was scary for me, but perhaps not so uncommon in Japan. Quite an interesting class...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home