Ellie's World

Monday, February 06, 2006

Venting

So, most of you probably know that my job isn't too difficult, and that I, in fact, don't have much responsibility at all. I have accepted this fact a long time ago, and try to maintain a positive attitude despite my frustration and boredom. Today, however, I was really frustrated. My teacher had called me this weekend to let me know he wasn't going to be in one class today, so he asked me if I could plan something. I was pretty excited to have the whole class to myself. When I got to work this morning I put a few things together, re-working a successful acitivity I had done with students at my other school. Just before class started, my teacher called me to make sure I had gotten his message. I told him I had. And then he told me that he wanted to students to study by themselves because they have a test on Thursday. I thought at first he maybe wanted to make sure I wasn't stressed out about planning the class. I assured him that I had enough materials for the class, but he told me he really wanted them to study, but that I could use half the class period. Basically, instead of speaking and teaching English, he wanted me to babysit them. There just doesn't seem to be much point for me to be in school if I can't even use a free period to do some English games or activities with the students. My role isn't really to teach, but more to be the school's token native speaker. It's frustrating when I know I am such a huge resource!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home