Ellie's World

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

What's my name?

I think I've mentioned it before, but my students have this new fascination with calling me all sorts of different names, Amanda being the most prevalent (but it has branched into other names). It is quite fascinating. At first, just hte rowdy boys would call me Amanda, but now some of the girls quietly call me Amanda to see my reaction. Even one of my favorite teachers called me Amanda one morning! (He had heard his soccer boys talking about my new name at soccer practice the day before. Other names I've recently acquired...Rebecca (no idea), Regret (I think it is a famous cartoon character), Albus Dumbledore (by a boy who I always talk about Harry Potter with), and today, my new favorite, today I was called Matthew Perry (the American Captain that was influential in "modernizing" Japan after the country was re-opened to foreign trade). At first, I couldn't understand what the students were calling me. I thought they were just saying "Eri," which is the Japanese pronounciation of my name. But I realized they were saying something different when they kept talking about "Black Ships." Finally, one student cracked open her social studies textbook and then I realized they were talking about Matthew Perry. I'm not sure if they understood the implications of calling me Perry....maybe they just thought it was funny or something....who knows? With a language and culture barrier, the students are such a mystery to me sometimes! I remember what it was like to be a junior high school student, but I feel like I was so different than my students. On other note, becoming closer to them has some drawbacks. Now that class has resumed, the students keep yelling out "Amanda" during class- I feel like such a distraction to my teacher! Also, since the boys are more comfortable with me, they more comfortable talking about and demonstrating those things that most junior high school boys are interested...I think it's a little more acceptable here (some of the things they do in front of teachers are shocking!), so it's sometimes hard for me to keep composure and not start laughing or look horrified at them! They are quite entertaining, though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home