Ellie's World

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Earning my Keep

Today was a full day of testing, which means that I had absolutely nothing to do. Absolutely nothing! I spent the morning reading the paper, trying to study Japanese, and writing in my journal. When I had had enough of that, I went down to the main office to see if I could be of any use. They put me to work copying and counting papers for the nurse. Yesterday I did the same thing and the office staff was joking about how I have come so far just to copy and sort papers. After the copying and sorting was done, the nurse asked me to help her count and sort the urine sample cups. So, there I was, practically knee-deep (ok, slightly exaggerated) in small, yellow urine sample tubes. Every year they collect and test a sample from the students. The label that goes around the sample tube was titled "Pee-Pole." I asked the nurse if she knew what "pee" was- she speaks English pretty well. She didn't know, so I explained it to her- she laughed at the funny name..."Pee-Pole." The office staff always asks to make sure I'm not busy, and I think they feel bad that I am doing such mindless jobs, but it makes me happy to feel like I'm making a tangible contribution to the school.

So, the boys are going crazy calling me Amanda-san. I still can't figure it out! Today at lunch, some of the girls were asking the boys what they were talking about when they kept calling me Amanda. They started drawing pictures of "Amanda" and her laser-beam eyes. This character has the kanji "kill" on her forehead, like she's killing people with her laser-beam eyes! This might disturb me if the boys didn't like me or were afraid of me, but I don't think that's the case...I'm baffled (as are the other teachers!) But, it's fun because it means that so many students (boys, in this case) are talking to me! Sometimes in English! Today, this little boy who has never even so much as looked at me said, "Hello Ellie!" really loud when I walked into the classroom. Made my day...:)

It has been raining so hard here! Today I wore rain pants and a rain coat over my clothes on the walk to school. One of my English teachers said it's really strange weather this time of the year. I love it because it's so warm! But it has been cramping my tennis style...and it's sad because the cherry blossoms are going away in this awful weather!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home